Block printing specialists - online craft supplies, workshops & textile holidays
How to make a Christmas Bauble
This is a wonderful video for this time of year on how to make a Christmas Bauble
- Start with a plain polystyrene egg and draw a line around it from top to bottom so you have two halves.
- Draw another line at right angles to the line you have already drawn so you now have your polystyrene ball with four quarters marked on it.
- Pin a piece of tracing paper to the top and bottom of the ball and trace around one of the quarters.
- Cut out the shape on the tracing paper to create the template.
- Take a piece of white paper and draw around the template four times.
- Cut out the four shapes on the white and then place the shapes onto the piece of fabric you have chosen for the bauble.
- Pin the paper to the fabric and then cut around the paper to leave you with four pieces of fabric shaped like the template.
- Apply some adhesive to the egg and stick each piece of fabric.
- Trim off any excess fabric that is either overlapping or sticking up.
- Once the fabric has dried it is time to add the decorations.
- Add a drop of glue to one end of the polystyrene ball.
- Take a strip of ribbon and place it on the glue drop and run the ribbon along one of the seams of the fabric bringing it back to where it started.
- Temporarily fix the ribbon with a pin until the glue dries.
- Repeat this process with another piece of ribbon along the other seam.
- Put a pin into the egg about 2/3rd of the way down the egg in the middle of one of the pieces of fabric.
- Put another pin in the same position as the first pin but on the opposite side of the egg.
- Take a longer piece of ribbon and pin it to the top of the ball and then loop it around the first pin and back to the top and then the second pin and back to the top again. You should have two loops of ribbon on either side of the polystyrene ball.
- Move the two side pins up so they are about half way down the side of the egg on each side.
- Repeat the process so now there are two loops on each side both of different sizes.
- Use the pin at the top to hold the ribbon in place.
- Repeat this process one more time with the side pins being about 1/3rd of the way down the egg to create three loops of ribbon on each side.
- Firmly affix the ribbon with glue and leave to dry.
- Add a decorative pin to the top of the ball and loop some ribbon on the pin to act as a hanging loop.
- Your Christmas Bauble is now complete and ready for the tree!