Block printing specialists - online craft supplies, workshops & textile holidays
Fabric Dyeing Techniques – How To Dye Your Own Fabric Using A Washing Machine
Fabric dyeing can be fun and easy! Just let us show you how In this easy to follow guide Colouricious can show you the 7 easy steps to dyeing your own fabric using a washing machine! How fun!
These are the steps broken down:
- Step one – Put your chosen fabrics in the washing machin
- Pour the dye into the drum with the fabric Add 500g of normal Salt straight into the drum
- Set the machine at 40 degrees WITHOUT washing powder
- When finished, wash the fabric again to rinse it.
- Either tumble dry or hang it up to dry. Completely up to you!
- Iron your materials.
After you follow this guide you can start to have fun with your fabric. Enjoy printing onto and playing with your fabrics to create your own fun masterpieces. The possibilities are endless. For example, how about some aztec inspired dyed aprons and bags!
If you’re looking for some inspiration here are some fun dyed fabrics we like:
Take more inpiration from our website by looking at our textile techniques by clicking here!
Happy fabric dyeing!